Board index Tenis Teniseri i teniserke

Andy Roddick

Re: Andy Roddick

Postby Delester » 03 Sep 2012, 20:45

navijacu da dodje do novaka
.......................................................................................
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/snapoutofit.gif
Delester

Postby Panta » 05 Sep 2012, 17:07

By Richard Osborn
Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Andy Roddick’s singular presence will be sorely missed by tennis fans from Queens to Kitzbuhel. And he’ll be missed by tennis writers, too. The 2003 US Open champ’s post-match press conferences — after benchmark wins and brutal losses alike — were always must-attend events. It seems you could always count on the hard-serving, hard-working American — who spent the better part of his career inside the ATP’s top 10 — for a zinger or two. Sometimes aimed at those doing the questioning, often times at himself. With the pressroom wit having announced his retirement on his 30th birthday, we decided to reset a few of his more colorful media moments from over the years. A sampler:

Upon purchasing a new apartment in Manhattan with Brooklyn Decker, Roddick confided, “One day I’m representing my country in Davis Cup in front of thousands, and literally the next day I’m vacuuming, moving furniture, scrubbing toilets and walking things up and down flights of stairs all day. It was the first and last time I had done it without help from a moving company.”

Asked where he bought the engagement ring for his swimsuit model/actress wife, Roddick quipped, "[I] got it in a gumball machine. You know those machines with the big claws? A claw grabbed it."

After one particularly stinging loss at the Australian Open, Roddick noted, “It was miserable. It sucked. It was terrible. Besides that, it was fine.”

“It’s been a lot of blood, sweat and Waffle House.” — Andy Roddick on his experience at the 2011 Cincinnati Masters, where he fell in the first round.

Andy once claimed he was "the biggest dork that ever lived."

After observing that Roger Federer “has flash, feel, artistry,” Andy said, “The advantage I have is just hitting the crap out of the ball.”

Of his 2005 US Open loss to Luxembourg’s Gilles Muller, Roddick confided, “I don’t remember a loss where I felt worse. I’m in a little bit of shock. I’d give anything to go back four hours.”

Noting how many times Novak Djokovic bounces the ball before he serves, Roddick said he “could make eight phone calls and order a pizza before he’s ready.”

The thing about being an athlete, every day you come to the office, you have to beat someone. It’s not like being an actor, where you have one movie and you’re celebrated forever and you don’t need to do anything, and that’s what you’re remembered for. If you lose a couple matches in a row, that’s going to affect you. I don’t care if you’re Albert Einstein at the Intelligence Olympics. It’s going to affect you.”

“When you’ve seen the Rolling Stones from the front row, and then all of a sudden, you’re like, seven or eight rows back and there’s a really tall guy in front of you waving his hands and screaming, you can’t see as much. It’s not going to be as good as the other show.” — Roddick on his quest for that elusive second Slam title.

“I’m the most successful bad player ever. I used to hear a lot that all I could do was hit a serve, I couldn’t volley, I can’t hit a backhand, I don’t return well, and then people would turn around and tell me I’m underachieving. Well, all I’d say is you can’t have it both ways. For a guy who can’t hit a shot, I’ve done OK.”

“My mom used to take me here every year for my birthday. I'd get here for the first match, and I wouldn’t leave until it was over. Those are probably my fondest memories, just sneaking into the nosebleed sections. I actually snuck into the players’ lounge one time and stole a cheesecake.” — Roddick on the US Open

“When you put your blood, sweat and tears, everything you have, into something and you can almost taste it, you envision something and it doesn't work out, it’s not easy. But that’s what makes you addicted to the competition, the feeling when you do win. That’s what gets you back on the horse.”

“I don’t know where it comes from, but I’ve always been annoyingly competitive. I’ve been the guy you can’t play golf with because he really gets that pissed off and ruins everyone’s day. Fortunately, most times that’s a good thing for me on the tennis court. I can take all the criticism and everything else, but when everything’s said and done, I don’t want anybody saying I didn’t give it the effort or didn’t work hard enough. That’s something I’m pretty sure nobody can say.”

“I’m very lucky. If I start feeling sorry for myself, I need a serious sense of perspective.”

“By no means am I going to complain about anything that I’ve been blessed with, but it’s almost, at this point, either you win a Slam or what, you’re disappointing? You kind of have to deal with that every day.”

“From the beginning of my career, [I’ve] been up against it. I’m following the greatest generation ever from one place. That was never going to be an easy path.”

“I think I’ve been portrayed as every single type of person – good, bad, ugly, rude, nice. This is kind of the first time that it’s been presented in a light that I’m a kind of hard-working, everyday Joe-type tennis player trying to make good.” — Roddick on the reaction of fans and the media following his 16-14-in-the-fifth loss to Roger Federer in the 2009 Wimbledon final

“I’ve never been bitter about anything. I’ve been disappointed, I’ve been sad. My worst day is a lot of people’s dream. I’ve always kind of had a sense of perspective about that.”

“I’ve been a brat long before working with Jimmy Connors, so don’t blame that on him.”

Reflecting on Roddick, Pete Sampras said, “You almost need to be like a running back/wide receiver, and Andy’s like a tight end.”

During a tough Davis Cup match in a Madrid bullring, Roddick called out to clay king Rafael Nadal, “Can you teach me how to slide?”

Roddick bristled at ESPN analysts during the US Open in 2011, telling Chris Fowler, “Tennis analyst is the easiest job in the world because whatever the person does, if it works, you just say that’s what’s good, and if it doesn’t work, you guys go, ‘He should have done the other things.’ So, you know, I’m pretty convinced that I could be a tennis analyst when I’m done. It just doesn’t take much thought. If I’m grinding and I’m winning, you guys are like, ‘He’s reinvented himself.’ If I’m playing like crap and pushing, then, you know, ‘He’s horrible and he needs to hit the ball.’ Everyone’s an expert, but I’m better than most of them, I believe.”

“I think there were only two teenagers to play tennis in Nebraska in the last 30 years, and we’re both at the US Open. Maybe we’re missing something. Maybe we need the corn-fed boys.” — Roddick on himself and rising star Jack Sock

Asked if he ever thinks about all the Grand Slam titles Roger Federer has cost him, Roddick said, “You’ve got to play the hand you’re dealt. I don’t really obsess about it, but you start thinking, ‘OK, you’ve lost to him six times in the semis or further at majors —[including a] couple of Wimbledon finals where you’re playing well, a Wimbledon semi where you’re playing well.’ No, I’ve never thought about it.”

Of his particularly painful five-set quarterfinal loss to Frenchman Richard Gasquet at Wimbledon in 2007, Roddick told reporters, “It’s another lost opportunity at Wimbledon. I’d love to make you understand what it feels like in the pit of my stomach right now.”

One thing retirement will offer Roddick is more time on the golf course, and from the sound of it, he could use it. He once confided, “Every time I play, I’ve got to buy a new set of clubs. It’s not relaxing. I go mental...I haven’t reached the point in my life where I have the patience it takes to play golf. And I don’t have the pants.”

On whether he still gets butterflies before Davis Cup matches: “If I puked every time I was nervous, we’d have a lot of dirty courts.”

Asked about his family’s tennis gene pool (his brother, John, starred at the University of Georgia), Roddick said, “What gene pool? My father was a farmer, and my mother was a bowler who bowled about 93.”

After helping the U.S. to its first Davis Cup title in a dozen years, Roddick confessed, “I don’t care if I win another match this year as long as we can hold the trophy aloft.”

“When I was coming up, it was Andre and Pete. Then it was [just] Andre. Now it’s us [Roddick, Isner, Fish, Querrey, etc.], and we have to step it up. That cushion isn’t there. My training wheels are gone.”

On playing his idols, like Andre Agassi: “You want to play against your idols, but you don’t want to be the guy who shot Bambi.”

“I’m just glad Americans get to play well in three of the four Grand Slams.” — Roddick, noting U.S. tennis’ recent futility at Roland Garros

Part of the reason Roddick has decided to retire at the age of 30 is his worn-out serving shoulder, which he affectionately likens to “Hamburger Helper.”

Asked what he’ll miss most about the game, Andy told the assembled media, “All of you.”

Vredi procitati :laugh:
Fedor is back.
Panta

Postby Delester » 05 Sep 2012, 22:21

nedostajace rodja ipak
dobar igrac
.......................................................................................
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/snapoutofit.gif
Delester

Postby Petko019 » 05 Sep 2012, 23:16

Neki ga vole, neki ne, ali je sigurno da ce nedostajati svetskom tenisu. :tenis:
"Spasa nam nema, propasti nećemo"
Petko019

Postby kecman » 05 Sep 2012, 23:19

Srećna penzija majstoru! :okk:
SVAKOJ VLASTI VERNI, SVAKOJ VLASTI ODANI...
kecman

Postby Gama » 17 Sep 2012, 17:48

Andy Roddick's On-Court Speech Following Final Career Match
Gama

Postby Gama » 17 Sep 2012, 17:59

2012 US Open: Andy Roddick's Final Career Press Conference
Gama

Postby alcesta » 16 Apr 2014, 18:57

Brooklyn Decker going all Andy Roddick on a tennis racket? Where’s the footage, internet?
The actress and SI Swimsuit veteran appeared on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson last night to promote her new television show Friends With Better Lives, and it turns out she’s just as hot-headed on the tennis court as her husband.
Decker told Ferguson she refuses to play tennis with Roddick because she’ll “always be the worst tennis player in the house.” Wait, Andy doesn’t let you win a few games, Brooklyn?
“When you’re married to an athlete there’s no ‘letting win,’” Decker said. “That’s not even in their vocabulary.”

Not that she hasn’t tried to improve her tennis game. Roddick’s given her a few condescending tips on how to hit a forehand and his tone pushed her over the edge.
“I said stop talking to me like I’m a five year old,” she said. “You can tell me like an adult how to hit a tennis ball. And he said to me ‘If you play like a five year old I’m going to have to talk to you like a five year old.’ Oh yeah. So I crushed the racket into a million little bits.”

:laugh:
I will not walk your dusty path and flat,
denoting this and that by this and that,
your world immutable wherein no part
the little maker has with Maker's art.
I bow not yet before the Iron Crown,
nor cast my own small golden sceptre down.
alcesta

Previous

Return to Teniseri i teniserke